Choosing a VBS theme can be tough. With tons of great programs, you may be wondering how to compare each one, and what to prioritize to ensure you find the best program for your church.
We’ve been there, and that’s why we suggest using the following guidelines to help you get started.
How to choose a VBS theme:
- LISTEN TO THE MUSIC
- CHOOSE AN AGE GROUP
- TAKE A MOMENT TO THINK ABOUT YOUR CHURCH AND COMMUNITY. WHICH AGE GROUP IS THE MAJORITY? WHO ARE YOU FOCUSING ON THIS REACHING THIS YEAR? MOST VBS PROGRAMS ARE DESIGNED TO REACH ELEMENTARY AGES, BUT IF YOU WANT TO INCLUDE FAMILIES, CONSIDER USINGEGYPT VBS , SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED WITH ACTIVITIES FOR ALL AGES.
- CONSIDER COMMUNITY INTERESTS AND NEEDS
- DO YOU WANT TO D.I.Y. OR CLICK & PRINT?
- Every course offers marketing materials like banners, flyers, postcards and posters. If you are a do-it-yourself person, then look for a course with a media or clip-art CD, or free downloadable resources so you can build your own digital slides and invitations.
- ROTATE OR STAY PUT
- Think about your space and the number of volunteers you’ll have. Would a rotational format work best with students meeting for the opening and closing, and while rotating from station to station in between? Or would a static classroom format be more manageable with your space and resources?
- CAN THE MESSAGE EXPAND BEYOND VBS?
- Do you want your VBS to stand alone with a theme message and key verses, or would you like it to connect with the rest of your church? Review what your main service, adult classes, or Children’s Ministry is already studying, and consider a theme with a similar message or passage so your whole church is learning together.
- WHAT VERSION OF THE BIBLE IS USED?
- WHAT VERSION OF THE BIBLE DO MOST OF YOUR STUDENTS AND VOLUNTEERS ALREADY HAVE? EACH COURSE HAS THE TRANSLATIONS LISTED, BUT DON’T FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO STICK TO THAT. YOU CAN ALWAYS ADAPT TO A DIFFERENT VERSION, OR PROVIDE OUTREACH BIBLES IN BULK TO MAKE FOLLOWING ALONG EASY.
- WHAT’S THE COST?
- Take a quick look at the order forms and decorating ideas for an overview of the cost, and check out our Budgeting & Fundraising Hints to plan ahead so you can have an effective and successful VBS. If you see something you like, but you’re not sure if you can afford it, consider DIY’ing it. You’ll find tons of money-saving ideas and templates on our Pinterest boards .
Keep in mind that most VBS programs can be adapted to fit your church’s needs. If you have any questions about choosing a VBS theme, feel free to call our VBS Experts at 1-800-521-0751.