Although the old saying promises May flowers, it looks like all we’re getting this year are holidays. Are you ready for all- count ’em – 4 holidays in May? We’ve got you covered with everything your church needs to stay on track during this busy season.
Here’s the skinny on all 4 holidays in May, and what you’ll need to keep up:
National Day of Prayer
THURSDAY, MAY 5
This year we celebrate the 65th annual National Day of prayer. This day is set aside to encourage all people to pray for our great nation. According to the National Day of Prayer Task Force , the theme is “Wake Up America.” The key verse is Isaiah 58:1a, “ Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. ”
HOW TO CELEBRATE
- Get kids involved with these great ideas fromChildren’s Ministry Magazine – National Day of Prayer Activities for Kids
- Equip your church members with a list of prayer topics, like what Crossroads Fellowship Church shared on their website last year. You can share the list though your website, and email, a printed handout or social media.
- Hang Prayer Banners around your campus during the first week of May to remind your congregation to pray.
- Hold a special weekday service and use a Prayer Bulletin . Print a prayer or verse on the inside for attendees to recite during the service.
- Share a verse or quote through social media like the German Proverb, “When in prayer you clasp your hands, God opens His.”
- Encourage your congregation to memorize a verse about prayer. Consider these popular prayer verses from topverses.com.
SUNDAY, MAY 8TH
With so many families attending church on Mother’s Day, it’s the perfect time to show your love and appreciation for moms. Celebrate women in every stage of motherhood, from first time moms to grandmothers, to step moms, adoptive moms, and all those special ladies in your church.
HOW TO CELEBRATE
- Check out our ideas on our previous post 9 Sweet Ideas to Make Moms Feel Special
- Display a Mother’s Day Banner in your entryway or sanctuary
- Fill your church with fresh flowers, and encourage families to take them home after the service
- Invite women to a Spring Retreat (and start planning one with an easy starter kit!)
SUNDAY, MAY 15TH
There are many ways to celebrate the day the Holy Spirit descended upon the disciples.
MONDAY, MAY 30TH
Set aside time in your service the weekend before Memorial Day to honor the brave men and women who have given their lives for our country.
HOW TO CELEBRATE:
- Turn the focus toward Christ with these great ideas about Honoring Christ on Memorial Day from ShareFaith.
- Display custom powerpoint slides during your services.
- Plan a time of silence to remember those who have died in active military service.
- Set aside your normal bulletins and use Patriotic Bulletins . Include a special prayer or quote on the inside.
- Recite the Pledge of Allegiance together as a church family.
- Hang Patriotic Banners throughout the church.
The month of May will be busy indeed. May you find opportunities to continually encourage and uplift your congregation, and bless your community during this season!